Sunday, June 28, 2009

John Lennon in Tennessee...?


A couple weeks ago I visited Nashville, Tennessee to participate in a recording session at Ricky Skaggs' studio.  Ricky, an endorsee of PRS guitars, was vacating the space to Paul Reed Smith himself (who is the reason why we made it out to Tennessee in the first place), so I was not actually able to immerse myself in any Bluegrass music.  However, I was able to catch a glimpse of what Bluegrass is all about by the adornments on the studio walls:  black and white shots of legend Bill Monroe, fading, nostalgic images of the Grand Ole Opry, and promotional flyers of the Skaggs family band (with Ricky as the 4-year-old mandolin prodigy). Amidst these relics, I spotted a picture of Johnny Cash that caught my interest.  Ricky related the story to me of how the night of John Lennon's death in 1980, Johnny Cash was in New Zealand and wanted to make a tribute to Lennon.  Cash put on glasses, gathered flowers and told photographer Marty Stuart to take a picture of him through the peephole of his hotel room.  It's certainly an interesting picture, but I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by it...