Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Who/Mod Culture

This is a video clip of The Who when they were known as The High Numbers in the nascent stage of their career.  The first song, “Ooh Poo Pah Doo”, is a R&B cover by New Orleans based singer Jessie Hill while the second tune, “I Gotta Dance to Keep from Crying” is a Motown single from the Miracles, featuring Smokey Robinson.  I’m not really sure why I feel compelled to post this, but I guess it’s because for a group of four white dudes I find their rendition soulful and gritty.  And if you don’t think the covers are irresistibly catchy like I do (considering they are proto-funk/boogie songs), the mod dance scene is certainly a phenomenon to observe.  You can also notice the beginnings of Pete Townshend’s windmill drive, John Entwistle’s jazzy, harmonically complex bass licks, and Keith Moon’s provocative drumming. 

No comments: